Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Here I Go Again...

If anyone's ever struggled with any kind of addiction, they understand what rock bottom is. I realize that food, and more specifically, weight may not seem like an addiction, but it is, and can be as harmful as any other. In fact, it's an addiction that's impossible to quit cold turkey because one must eat to survive. It takes the utmost willpower and control to kick a food addiction's ass, and like every other addiction, it's a battle every single day.
My mother has battled her addiction as long as she can remember. About 10 years ago, she lost a significant amount of weight, and has managed to keep it off -- she looks fantastic. When I was home this weekend, I realized that she still, even after a decade, beats herself up every single time she missteps. It's really unfair. It doesn't matter how good she looks, she still manages to make herself feel like shit.
Anyway, I hit my rock bottom with my own food addiction.
A combination of factors (a reunion, a realization that I'm limited in my mobility, and a will to live past the age of 35) prompted me to try a system that worked for me once before -- Simply for Life. It may not be a perfect system, but I truly need the discipline of it at this juncture. I met with the lady, Wendy, there this afternoon after work. We had a lovely conversation; she will send me my menu and grocery list tomorrow.
Before we were finished, I had to have the dreaded weigh in. After having lost some weight in the new year, I didn't think it would be higher than my starting weight before...I was wrong, oh so wrong.
The most mortifying and horrible moment in the world was when I realized that I weighed as much as a family. I wanted to die on the spot. I yelled, 'HOLY FUCK,' and then quickly apologized for swearing. I hardly listened to the last bit of what Wendy told me; I gave her my money and made it to my car parked outside. I started to cry, and then called my mom, who knows all too well how I felt/feel.
I realize that it's good that I found out in the place where I'm starting to do something about it. I never want to feel that feeling again. I HATED myself in that moment. It was a complete and utter lack of control, and I'm used to being IN control. Anyway, tomorrow's a new day, with a new lifestyle, with the same old me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Katelin. I hope this new lifestyle also includes and helps you to love yourself and not hate yourself. You truly are a wonderful person and I hope that you can see that even through the flaws (which you know we all have). I wish you all the best on this new system, and keep "us" updated? Miss you. Wish I could be there. <3.

    ReplyDelete